Sunday, February 14, 2016

my first valentines day experience

i must have been around 14 or 15 impressionable, young
we used to go to church every sunday and wednesday
so a girl i met weeks prior asked if i would go to the church's
valentines day event/dance with her and of course i said yes
i was was elated and exchanged phone numbers
she was the same age as me and just as impressionable 
we talked on the phone a few times and then eventually figuring out the details
i went all out with a suit and tie and nice dress shoes and even a corsage for her
my mom took me there early and we waited in the car
she was dropped off in a beat up pick up truck getting out and then i got out
of my mom's station wagon, the tank.
we greeted each other and walked into just the foyer of the building
i attempted to give her the corsage and she stopped me and said she had to talk to me first
so we stood there and she talked about her mom and various other things
but then she got to the point and said she asked me to go to the dance so
she would be able to go, but that she wanted to go separate ways after walking in
i stood there beside myself for a while wondering what had just happened
speechless i went over and over what had happened and made
a pointless plea for her to change her mind, i even insisted that she at least take the corsage,
but she only said sorry pushing the corsage back to me and backed away into the building
i stood alone in the foyer wondering...pondering, fighting back
any tears that were trying to come to my eyes
i peered in through the door and saw her talking to another guy
so i walked outside and sat on the steps watching others go in the dance/event
a friend asked me if i was ok and asked me where rena(the date) was which
made me sink further into sadness. i responded with im not sure
he could only retort with oh, that sucks, and then he walked in with girl in hand
after a few minutes i went back inside and peered in again
she was with her 2 sisters and were chatting and looking around
so i went back outside and sat back on the steps
at the time i didn't know that my mom hadn't left and waited to make
sure i was going in and not getting taken advantage of and or getting into trouble
i heard her honk the horn and upon looking up and seeing the red tank
the tears poured from my eyes and i stood up to walk the walk of shame
tail between my legs, hobbling with wound, still holding the boxed corsage in hand
she got out to meet me and hugged me a bit but i, so ashamed and feeling pathetic,
i only wanted to get in the car and leave immediately.
she consoled me for a while, hugging me and wiping my tears way until i calmed down
and somehow convinced me to try to go in anyway, she said she could be my valentine
but i nicely said it's ok i will try to go back in
i attempted to walk in and as i did it was as though everything had stopped and
everyone was looking at me, i didn't understand until i saw rena hand in hand with
another guy, i looked away but when i looked back she was kissing the guy
i felt as though i had entered the building completely naked with no clothes on at all.
i then left running and told my mom to please take me home
the whole car ride home, the events played over and over again in my mind
upon arriving home the walk of shame into the house
the saddened feeling of my father asking why i was home so soon
the shame of taking off the shoes and nice suit
i laid on the bed tears streaming and eventually fell asleep
my first valentines day experience

No comments:

Post a Comment